Add More Vegetables To Your Diet To Stay Healthy This Season
Adding a variety of fresh vegetables to your diet is important all year round. It becomes even more important when the temperatures begin to drop and cold season kicks into high gear. Adding vegetables will do more than just keep you healthy though! They will keep your appetite (and waistline) in check from their high fiber content and satisfy your sweet tooth (think squash, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc!)
Here are some of our favorite ways to pack in those veggies!
- Make a large batch of soup on Sunday: Take time over the weekend to create a healthy soup that can be eaten all week long! Add in all of your favorite vegetables. When you are rushed during the week you will have a hearty and healthy soup waiting at home for dinner or you can even pack it for lunch at work. You won’t have to worry about grabbing something out, when you know a delicious dish is waiting for you!
- Swap crackers and chips for veggie stick and hummus or fruit and yogurt: By replacing the crackers and chips, not only will you be adding more fruits and veggies to your day, but you are also cutting down on sodium and getting a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals and fiber!
- Add Spinach: Spinach is so versatile and can be added to anything! Steamed it and serve alongside some baked chicken, toss it in with pasta, or even add it to a delicious omelet in the morning! This dark leafy green is loaded with vitamins!
- Swap The Processed Carbs: Instead of having pasta for dinner, try making zucchini noodles or serving your sauce over baked spaghetti squash! Or make nachos using sweet potatoes instead of chips! The possibilities to get in more veggies are endless!
- Swap Ice Cream For Fruit: Instead of ending your day with a big bowl of ice cream, make yourself a big bowl of mixed berries and top with a tablespoon of nut butter and a dollop of whipped cream! Or better yet, greek yogurt! You will be all the sweetness, nutrients and fiber, but without all the added ‘junk’
- Make one GIGANTIC salad: On Sunday make a large salad that you can grab and go when needed! Toss grilled chicken, sliced almonds and goat cheese on top and you have the perfect lunch for work. Or serve it alongside your dinner, so that your whole family can enjoy!
- Swap soda and juice for a smoothie: Create yummy smoothies using your favorite fruits/vegetables, milk, yogurt and a bit of protein powder. Blend all of these together and you have the perfect breakfast, snack or even dessert!
- Enjoy meatless Monday: Once a week try to have a meal that is solely plant based. Get a healthy dose of protein through vegetables by adding beans to your salad, enjoying a yummy veggie burger or even a bean and cheese quesadilla (homemade of course!)
We hope some of these tips have sparked you to think about how you can added more vegetables into your diet to ensure that you stay healthy, happy and active all winter long!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.